UG Articles Archive

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This being my first official post, I figured I'd start things off with a bang, so to speak.

A few weeks ago I traveled with some friends to Illinois to see the legendary Iron Maiden live at an outdoor concert. Probably the best show I've ever seen, definitely in the top 3. Most of the material the band played was off of their 3 most recent studio efforts, which was a bold choice considering the band's extensive and well-loved collection of hits on their older albums. The decision to play mostly new stuff seems to have paid off, at least in my opinion. I was exposed to several songs that I'd never taken the time to listen to, and all of them were pretty great. It's hard to go wrong with Maiden, I guess.

The first two or three songs were plagued with sound problems (speakers too low, mixing was off, as some instruments were louder than others and Bruce was nearly inaudible) but the sound guys got it figured out sometime in the middle of "Wrathchild" and it was loud and rockin' for the remainder of the show. Dickinson dedicated "Blood Brothers" to recently deceased Ronnie James Dio of "Holy Diver" fame, which was a fitting tribute to one of Rock's elder statesmen.

The entire crowd went insane during "Fear of the Dark," and continued to rage out of control during the encore of "Number of the Beast," "Iron Maiden," and "Running Free."

Here's me making a fool out of myself during "Iron Maiden":



A great time was had by all.

Again, welcome to my blog and keep checking back, new content should be posted daily or near-daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment