UG Articles Archive

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I love bluegrass covers of metal songs

Today, I discovered another band that plays bluegrass versions of popular metal songs: Slaughter of the Bluegrass.  I didn't even know this genre existed until a couple years ago, when I first heard Iron Horse.

Iron Horse takes an artist-focused approach to their covers.  They have 2 albums of bluegrass Metallica, one of Ozzy covers, and one of Led Zeppelin.  If you haven't heard them before, they're a ton of fun to listen to, and their production and arrangement abilities are really top-notch. 

Here's my favorite Iron Horse arrangement:


Somehow, while randomly browsing Youtube this afternoon, I came across Slaughter of the Bluegrass.  Based in Stockholm, Sweden, they take a genre-focused approach to their covers, playing melodic death metal tunes from the likes of Dark Tranquility, In Flames, At the Gates, and Amon Amarth.  They have yet to release an album, but the 6 songs they've done so far are available for download for free on their website

My favorite cover of theirs? 


I always thought Twilight of the Thunder God would work well with a clean-sung chorus, and guess what?  It sounds awesome.  Different version, different sound, still good. 

I'm trying to get into more traditional bluegrass music, not just covers.  The best stuff I've been able to find so far is Old Crow Medicine Show, but there's gotta be better stuff out there.  Anyone know of some good bluegrass?  Let me know in the comments or on the facebook page!

1 comment:

  1. I've always been an advocate of kickass bluegrass covers of things... string quartets are awesome too because they highlight the musicality of songs that you might not pick out on your own. Amon Amarth cover was... interesting. Good stuff dude

    ReplyDelete