UG Articles Archive

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Red Hot Chili Peppers plan to release new album in June

No, RHCP fans, you didn't misread that, the Chili Peppers have finished recording their first album in five years and drummer Chad Smith has said it will be dropping in June 2011. 

This will be the band's first album since the departure of guitarist John Frusciante, who left in December 2009 to pursue a solo career.  In his place will be Josh Klinghoffer, who played second guitar live for the band on their Stadium Arcadium world tour and worked with Frusciante on his previous solo material. 

In the time between albums, bassist Flea actually enrolled at USC and studied music theory and classical music. 
"I felt like it really opened up new doors for me as a musician. I started playing the piano and for this record almost all my writing contribution came from the piano which is a new thing for me, a new feeling and sound for the band."

Chad Smith had this to say about the new direction the band is taking:
"It is a new direction because we've got a new guitar player and he's an amazing musician, so it's obviously gonna change," Smith told Grammy Camp.
"But it's also gonna change because we've got a new guy in the group, and he's very talented, very musical. It's fresh, it's fun, everyone is in a good mood, everyone is coming up with lots of good ideas, and I just look forward to what the future is gonna bring. I know it's gonna be different and exciting. It just makes me really happy to get up everyday and go to rehearsals, because I know something new and cool is gonna happen, and so I'm looking for it; it's awesome."

I'm not going to bill myself as the world's biggest RHCP fan, but I generally enjoy their music, and I'm looking forward to see what their new direction their sound takes.  Losing Frusciante was a huge blow to the band in my opinion, some of those guitar licks were absolute genius.  Eager to see what Klinghoffer brings to the equation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment